Monday, March 19, 2007

Armenian Embassy in Ottawa, Canada

The Armenian embassy in Ottawa, Canada (March 2007)

I thought I'd post a picture I took recently of the Armenian Embassy in our nation's capital. In my opinion, it's quite striking. Note the Ararat motif in one of the gables. The embassy is located close to the downtown area, near the Rideau Canal on which people frequently skate during the winter. I don't know the significance of the statue on the right - if any of our readers could enlighten us on that point, your help would be much appreciated.

2 comments:

Amos said...

Wow, it's beautiful.

Anonymous said...

The statue, called "Armenia Immortal" , was carved by the Armenian sculptor Levon Tokmajyan and his son Hayk at the initiative of the Embassy. It is "symbolic of the spirit of the Armenian nation carved in rock".


Here is a history of the embassy building from their web site:
http://www.armembassycanada.ca/embassy_building.html